Apenheul uses functional and analytical cookies to analyse the visiting behaviour on this website and to ensure optimal usability. We also use tracking cookies that can be processed to send you information that matches your personal preferences and settings. Please view our Privacy Statement for more information. If you would like to know which cookies we place, please have a look at our cookie overview. In order to use tracking cookies, we need your permission. There are no consequences for the functioning of the website if you do not grant permission. Do you agree to the use of tracking cookies?
Which primate do you look like?
At Apenheul, you can discover at least 35 species of primates. They’re all different. Are you as tough and cool as a gorilla? Do you love creative (mind) games, just like an orangutan? Or do you never run out of energy, just like a squirrel monkey? Visit Apenheul and find out!
From baby to adult
Also relatable is the behaviour shown by primates and their families. Primate brothers and sisters also fight sometimes! Primates teenagers also push their (parents’) limits, and many primates go looking for a nice partner, just like humans. Did you know that primates also talk to each other? Maybe not with words, but they definitely communicate!
- Out of all primates, bonobos are most like humans. Our genes are 98% the same!
- Did you know that there are primates that – just like people – can sing? Come and listen to the gibbons.
- Even in the best primate families there are disagreements sometimes. Fortunately they’re quick to make up. Some primates do that with a little rough and tumble, others with a spot of lovemaking.
- Did you know that primates flea each other to maintain social contacts? It’s their way of having a chat.
- There are four species of great apes: bonobos, orangutans, gorillas and chimpanzees. At the Apenheul you can spot bonobos, orangutans and gorillas.
- Did you know that all primate babies drink at their mother’s breast? Just like humans do!